Jorunn Økland is on research leave during 2021.
- Ancient Mediterranean material culture
- Feminist critique of religion
- Gender and sacred texts
- Cultural/secular uses of the Bible
- Theory (epistemology, gender equality, space, etc)
- Director at the Norwegian Institute at Athens
- Director for Centre for Gender Research, University of Oslo, From 01.01.2010–31.12.2013
- Professor of interdisciplinary gender studies in the Humanities at the Centre for Gender Research, University of Oslo, From September 2007-:
- Lecturer at the Centre for Gender Research, UiO, 2007:
- Researcher, Centre for Advanced Studies, Oslo, 2006-2007:
- Senior Lecturer in the New Testament, Department of Biblical Studies, University of Sheffield, UK, 2005-2007:
- Lecturer the New Testament, Department of Biblical Studies, University of Sheffield, UK, 2000-2005:
- Teacher at Center for Women Studies and Gender Research, University of Oslo, 2000:
- Norwegian Research Council-Research Fellow, the Faculty of Theology, University of Oslo, 1994-2000:
- Lecturer, teacher, research fellow at the Faculty of Theology, University of Oslo, 1992-1994:
- Research Assistant, Department of Philosophy, University of Oslo, 1989-1992
- 2011-: Member of the Editorial Board for The Bible & Critical Theory Journal
- 2010-: Chair of the Council for Gender Studies in Norway
- 2009-: Member of Research And Publications Committee, Society of Biblical Literature.
- 2009-: President, European Association of Biblical Studies.
- 2007- Chairman of the Board of KILDEN - Information Centre for Gender Research in Norway
- 2006- Member of the steering committee for the program ”Gender, Sexuality, and the Bible”, Society of Biblical Literature
- 2006- Member of the editorial board for Journal for the Study of the New Testament
- 2005-2009: co-chair of the Paul-seminar in British New Testament Conference, together with Dr. Ward Blanton, Glasgow University.
- 2004-: Member of the Steering Committees for the program ”Archaeology of Religion in the Roman World”, Society of Biblical Literature
- 2004- Co-editor for The Bible in the Modern World Series (Sheffield Phoenix Press)