Building on 20 Years of Women Peace and Security: The Norwegian National Commemoration of UN Security Council Resolution 1325
The Norwegian national commemoration of the twentieth anniversary of UN Security Council Resolution 1325 on Women, Peace and Security (UNSCR 1325) will consider both the major achievements of the past two decades, and the challenges that lie ahead.
Session 1 (09:00-10:30): Panel with the political leadership of the ministries that have signed the Norwegian Government's Action Plan on Women, Peace and Security.
09:00 Welcome by Svein Stølen, Rector, University of Oslo
09:03 Brief introduction by Session Chair Marita Sørheim Rensvik, Special Envoy on Women, Peace and Security, Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
09:05-09:45 Panel with the political leadership of the ministries that have signed the Norwegian Government's National Action Plan on Women, Peace and Security.
- Ine Eriksen Søreide, Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Frank Bakke-Jensen, Minister of Defence
- Guro Angell Gimse, The Standing Committee on Justice, Norwegian Parliament
- Dag-Inge Ulstein, Minister of International Development
- Abid Q. Raja, Minister of Culture and Equality
09:45-09:50 Short presentation by Gro Lindstad, FOKUS/Forum 1325, on the role of civil society in advancing the WPS agenda
09:50-10:10 Questions and Answers Session with the ministers. Chaired by Gro Lindstad
10:10-10:15 Women UN Police: Experiences from Haiti and Colombia, by Hanne Markhus Andersen
10:15-10:20 Women in the police – Nationally and in UN operations, by Ann Kristin Kvilekval
10:20-10:30 Presentation by the Ministry of Defence: Force production and implementation of gender perspective in the Norwegian Armed Forces' special operations, by Commodore Christian Harstad, Norwegian Special Operation Forces (NORSOF).
The Norwegian Armed Forces' implementation of the WPS agenda in NATO, by Lieutenant Colonel Per-Roe Petlund, Defence Staff Norway (DEFSTNOR).
10:30 End of session
Session 2 (11:00-12:00): Emerging Issues, New Voices: An Inter-generational Approach to Women, Peace and Security
A panel conversation with:
- Inger Skjelsbæk, Professor, Centre for Gender Research, University in Oslo
- Marie Doucey, Gender-Responsive Peacebuilding Policy Specialist – UN Women
- Andrea Ramirez Stangeland, Board member – Peace in Colombia
- Lena Kvarving , Gender Adviser, Politico Military Domain, Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE)
- Session Chair Gro Lindstad, FOKUS
Session 3 (15:00-16:00): Champions of WPS: Norway and Sweden on the Security Council.
15:00-15:55 A conversation between Margot Wallström, former Minister for Foreign Affairs of Sweden (2014–2019) and Ine Eriksen Søreide, Norwegian Minister of Foreign Affairs.
Presentation of research project, by Louise Olsson, Senior Researcher, PRIO
Chair: Torunn L. Tryggestad, Deputy Director, PRIO & Director, PRIO Centre on Gender, Peace and Security.
15:55-16:00 Closing and information about the programme for the rest of the Commemoration Week.
16:00 End of session